Saturday, May 31, 2008

What do you live for?

I just finished a book for my World Masterpieces class called Mama Day by Gloria Naylor and in the book, the meaning of life is addressed frequently. I don't have my book with me so I can't quote it directly, but in the book one someone says that dying brings you peace and living on earth is hell. Ever since I read it, I've been wondering why people live if death is said to be better or more peaceful than being alive. I think people stay alive because they have atleast one thing in their lives that are willing them to. Whether its family, a job, a belief, friends, etc, if people feel as though they are needed here then they can have the motivation to push through whatever life brings them. If there is atleast one person that is there for you and you can see that they care about you then it almost erases everything else. Thinking about myself, I honestly don't know what I live for. I've been sitting here trying to think about a single reason but I think that's almost impossible. I live because I have family and friends that care about me. I live because I know that whatever life brings me, even if it's bad, it would be worse if I couldn't experience anything at all. I think that throughout life, people sometimes only remember the bad times. They forget all of the amazing things that they did for other people, that other people did for them, the love, and those are the things that should be remembered. I feel like I haven't done everything that I want to do in my life; I haven't left my impact on the world yet; I haven't made a big enough difference and I live because it gives me the chance to.

No comments: